Now incorporating The Sudbury Hill Harrow and Wherever End Times

Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Faded signs on gable walls

I love the faded adverts that can be discerned on old walls. This one, for example, is partly lost but must have been for an artists' supplies shop.



Still visible are the words, Lead, Colors & Polishes, Gold Leaf and Methylated Spirit. Notice the American spelling of "colors," probably indicating it was part of the word "watercolors." They should be left to fade like ghosts from their era.

travesty

When Lula's Cafe was installed on the corner of Linacre Road, they painted garish white over the wonderfully faint trace of St Paul's Pianos, a sign that probably dated from the time of St Paul himself, who must have sojourned in Willesden for a while, selling pianos and writing letters in his spare time. No letter to Willesdonians survives.

I received a call from an inebriated woman late one night who evidently thought I was somebody else, and wouldn't listen to my protestations. I had to hang up in the end because she just kept on telling me to come down to Lula's. I've since been told I missed a trick there badly.

Report: Feargal Mooney. Pictures: Ossian Lennon.

3 comments:

Comments 2003-2004 said...

_____

fact checking

Perhaps not artists's supplies, more artisans' supplies probably.

Post by : An unconcerned member of the public (host81-132-33-185.in-addr.btopenworld.com / )

_____

Anonymous said...

My great grand father 'Sydney Chidley' set up and ran St Pauls Piano's back in the 1920's - this was their head office (There was another one further up the road, and also in Birmingham)

It was called St Pauls Piano's - because they live in St Pauls Avenue (Just off Willesdon Green tube station).

Ossian said...

It has taken me almost 20 years to be polite enough to say thanks! Yours, Anonymous, is one of the most helpful comments ever on here. [Ed.]