now incorporating the Sudbury Hill and Wood End Times

Friday, March 20, 2009

The Spotted Dog: Demolition in progress?


Demolition sign on the Spotted Dog, 20 March 2009. Sphagnum

Don't cry but, "Willesden Green has a long history with the area being recorded in the Doomsday Book of 1086 as 'Wellesdone'. By the 14th Century a small settlement had formed around a woodland clearing, which later became Willesden Green. By the middle of the 18th century the village had grown and had its own pub, ‘The Spotted Dog’." (Ref: Willesden Green Conservation Area). It used to be said that a taxi driver might not know where Willesden High Road was but could take you to The Spotted Dog.


Anonymous said...

No way! Are you kidding that the Spotted Dog is being demolished? I just found out that my Great Great Aunt Matilda Twyford (nee Howard) and husband James were landlords there in the 1840 and 50's. I looked forward to visiting from Canada if I can soon. And now I hear that after hundreds of years it goes right when I want to see it! My luck, L. Moore, Toronto

Anonymous said...

Not demolished, turned into apartments.

graham salmon said...

appartments well as good as demolished . i used to live in willesden green in the 80s and we loved it