Now incorporating The Sudbury Hill Harrow and Wherever End Times

Friday, June 18, 2010

The prisoner of Rangoon

Before duty called: pictures show Aung San Suu Kyi as a wife and mother | World news | The Guardian

In another photo the future leader of the Burmese Democracy Movement is tending a barbecue on the Norfolk Broads, where the family were enjoying a narrow boat holiday with friends. Within 10 years she was back in Burma, leaving them all behind in order to fight for what she believed in. It was her destiny, she said, and her family accepted it: before her marriage to Michael Aris, she told him: "I only ask one thing, that should my people need me, you would help me to do my duty by them." (Guardian)

Aung San Suu Kyi's desperate plea to the world - Asia, World - The Independent

In a hand-written letter smuggled out of Burma and passed to The Independent, U Win Tin writes: 'I want to repeat and echo her own words – 'please use your liberty to promote ours'. I want to add more to it. Please bring more and more liberty to us, to our country, Burma. We are starving for it and we are waiting for someone or some institutions or some countries to bring it to us.' (Independent)

No comments: