now incorporating the Sudbury Hill and Wood End Times

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Tips for writers: Had you not better had?

As somebody had already said that the word "had" had better not be overused as it had never to date proved necessary except on infrequent occasions, I had thought of not bothering with this tip till I had started this text and had gone this far already. The pluperfect is less than perfect when it infests most of the first page of many texts submitted. I had already come to this conclusion but had never moaned about it till now. In short, it drives me mad. Or it had, had I not always had the ability to escape by closing the page.

2 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Did you know there's this sentence with eleven of the things, in a straight line? Thusly:

John, where James had had 'had', had had 'had had'. 'Had had' had had the teacher's approval.

Ta da!

Ossian said...

Brilliant. :)