featured post

Open for submissions

The 2017 WH prize mug I’m looking forward to reading your stories each day, and seeing which ones come to the fore early on, and if they...

Monday, March 15, 2004

Hah! Interesting. The New Yorker is not putting Martin Amis's story online - it must be too strong for them. Instead they have put up next week's story by Alice Monro this week. The issue of the 15th of March will not leave a trace online, it seems. This is Alice Monro's new story, by the way: Passion.



I thought I might type an extract from Amis's story, In the Palace of the End, but it's too difficult. The whole thing is horrific, and I don't think I can just take one piece out of context. It's about a group of doubles (a la Saddam's) and their duties, which involve them in torture and video-taped rape. They also suffer in parallel whatever injuries their master suffers. It's satirical beyond the point of black comedy.



Ossian

No comments: